That’s a pretty snappy name I came up with there.
On Friday, Iris Blasi of Pegasus Books was my guest for “50 Words or Less(-ish) Fridays.” The question I asked her?
Say you’re in a Tom Hanks Castaway situation and are allowed to have three books. What are they?
As part of the post, we challenged readers to name what three books they’d take with them to while away the hours until they became emotionally dependent on a volleyball and offered up a couple of prizes, to be awarded at random to two commenters, as incentive.
Before I announce the winners, I thought it would be fun to share the full list of books submitted, starting with the three from Iris:
- Little Women
- The Professor’s House
- Anna Karenina
- The Goldfinch (2)
- Infinite Jest
- Collected Works of William Shakespeare (2)
- Bleak House
- In Search of Lost Time (2)
- Wittgenstein’s Mistress
- Malloy, Malone Dies, & The Unnamable
- comprehensive collection of Sherlock Holmes
- The Odyssey
- Anthology of American poetry that includes anything from Walt Whitman to Billy Collins
- House of Leaves
- A Pirate Looks at Fifty
- Boat Building for Dummies
- War and Peace
- Jane Eyre
- The Night Before Christmas
- The DIY Boat Building Manual
- The Boy Scout Handbook
- blank journal with a pen
- The whole Harry Potter collection
- Ender’s Game Universe Collection
- Lord of the Flies
As you can see, answers ranged from the classic to the highly practical. For more on why people picked the books they did, check out the comments section of the post.
Congratulations to both Megan and Brent; Iris and I will be in touch with you directly. And thanks again to everyone who participated in the contest and took on the challenge of answering this question.
OK, I think I’m going to go watch some TV.